The Impact of Language and Math Proficiency Tests on Student Academic Achievement in HCT

Thumbnail Image
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
The British University in Dubai (BUiD)
This quantitative study investigates the linguistic impact of 6 main proficiency and standardized tests (CEPA reading test, CEPA writing test, CEPA math test, high-school English test, high-school Arabic test and high-school math test) on student academic student, as measured by student first year GPA. The sample population of this research are Emirati students from the academic year 2009-2010. They are foundation students, aged between 17-18, who completed their first year in the Eastern Region of the UAE known as Fujairah Emirate. The findings reveal that the adjusted r square value in the model accounts for 42% of variance in GPA – respectable model. This suggests that language proficiency accounts for 42% of the variance in students' GPA, whereas the remaining 58% are explained by other non-academic factors. Further, a key finding of the research shows that CEPA English test, a proficiency test, is the most significant predictor of student academic success (r = 0.390, N = 471, p < .0005, two-tailed). Interestingly, the findings also indicate that the high-school Arabic test is as effective in predicting student academic success as CEPA English test (r = 0.325, N = 471, p < .0005, two-tailed). The difference in correlation coefficient between CEPA English-reading test and high-school Arabic test is 0.065 which is basically negligible. The research also reveals positive medium correlations between the rest of the tests and student academic achievement. High-school math test was not a significant predictor as indicated when using a regression analysis; hence it is not considered in the correlational analysis. This research also reveals that there is no significant academic difference between male and female students in GPA (t= 0.565, df= 469, p=0.572 > 0.05). Additionally, this research concludes interesting finding that shows no significant difference was found between high foundation and the low foundation students in GPA (t= -0.806, df= 469, p = 0.420 > 0.05).
math proficiency tests, student academic achievement, HCT